Dec 1, 2014
About Today's Guest
Jon Ferrara has been in sales and marketing his
entire life. He saw that sales were broken and decided to do
something about it. He created Goldmine CRM with $5,000 in his
apartment and helped them expand from 1989 to 1999 when he was
bought out. Now he sees things broken again in sales as it pertains
to social media and online marketing, so he's back. See what he's
up to in today's episode, #97.
Tools To Thrive
- Start Blogging Today: If you are new to blogging and
need to put up a quick site and get real help with your hosting,
try Bluehost. I've tried them all - GoDaddy, Hostable,
HostGator, etc. All were good and bad. In December 2013 I took a
long hard look at Bluehost, and what I found was nothing short of
amazing. Their free domain service with the purchase of hosting,
their 1-click WordPress setup and great customer service is what
every new blogger and entrepreneur needs. Use this link for The Sales Whisperer discount.
- He created Goldmine with $5,000 in an apartment.
- He went after the Novell resellers who sold network workgroups
(it was before Microsoft networks and Outlook.)
- He created an instant revenue stream.
- Mark Cuban was a Novell VAR and Jon got him to convert over to
- Sales people are beaten to go back and use their company
- We live in our email and social media.
- Contacts. Calendar. Communication. It's where we live.
- 225,000,000 businesses and only 1% use CRMs.
"Contacts. Calendar. Communication. It's where we live"
- You’re hired for your network and brand yet few maintain their
networks and relationships.
- At their core, CRMs don’t do anything for you because you live
outside of the CRM. It’s too much work.
- Most buy CRMs because they think they need it but they don’t
know how they’ll use it.
- CRMs are not just for salespeople. It’s for everyone in your
- Nurture Marketing - action-based communication.
- Data decay is like fish.
- Salespeople spend 60% of their time on non-sales-related
- Don’t pound on them.
- You need bait to fish in the social river.
- Educate, Enchant, Engage, Embrace, Empower.
- Content, Conversation, Community.
"Salespeople spend 60% of their time on non-sales-related
- Give your knowledge away. Share content.
- Teach them to fish then let them know you also sell fishing
- Start by listening then add value to the conversation.
- Create good identity on all social media platforms that are
relevant for your business.
- “It’s the basics that win games.” John
- Get started by updating your profiles at a minimum.
- Start having conversations.
"Teach them to fish then let them know you also sell fishing
- Nimble Everywhere - works in any
- It takes Jon about 20 min a day to curate content for a
- Use Buffer for free.
- It’s like dividend investing.
- We’re still early in the social media wave. Get started
"We’re still early in the social media wave. Get started
If you liked this episode, please let me know on Twitter.
Thank you for checking out this session of The Sales Whisperer®
podcast. If you haven’t done so already, I would love if you left a
quick rating and review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link
below! It would be extremely helpful for the show! Thanks again,
and Good Selling! Peace!
Get all of the show notes for every episode of The Sales Podcast with Wes Schaeffer, The Sales Whisperer®.
Order a signed copy of Wes's new book, "The Sales Whisperer®
Use these resources to grow your sales:
Check out earlier episodes of The Sales Podcast: