Jul 30, 2018
- The written word still matters
- Even in video, the best videos are written first
- Think in terms of scenes
- Do the research to understand your customers
- Interview your customers
- Ally and Gargano
The last thing we do is write the ads.
- "The Book of Gossage"
- When in doubt, hire the better writer
- "Email is the red-headed stepchild of online marketing. But
it's hard, thankless work."
- Dan Kennedy reminds us to crunch the numbers to determine which
medium to use to get your word out
- "Opinion drools and testing
- To use mass audience it must have mass-appeal
- An appreciable size of your audience must need what you sell
within a few years
- You want to reach the average listener three times in a week,
for 52 weeks
- Salespeople only speak to people when they want to buy
something so your prospects view your message with suspicion
- When you are running branding campaigns you can reach people
when their guards are down
- It's "the sleeper effect"
- Your conscience bias discounts the message but it works on you
- Bob Lutz hired a marketing firm, Ammirati & Puris, for BMW
to create "The ultimate driving machine"
- If you're really local look at Cable TV for advertising on
certain zip codes
- The best advertising is an intrusive location
- Pick a good client who is good at what they do and runs a tight
- Build your campaign around a promise they can keep and is baked
into how they do things
- There are no rational business owners
- Sales training for non-sales professionals
- Medical practice front desk staff
- Traffic is expensive so get your conversions down before you
throw more traffic at your offer
- How the curse of knowledge is hurting your sales
- Buy one of the Wizard of Ads books
- Schedule time to do customer research
- Speaking to your staff
- Dig into online forums
- Buy the Ally & Gargano book and study it
- Hire Jeff
- Go run a test. Re-think your messaging.