May 29, 2014
About Today's Guest
Mara Glazer was a miserable slave to a corporate job in NYC making
$35,000 a year working for a not-so-nice female person. (Edited
here to keep our PG rating!) At the age of 23 she convinced her
dad, Bill Glazer, to allow her to work for him at the company
he founded, Glazer-Kennedy Insider’s Circle (a company he built
into the world’s largest provider of marketing and money-making
information to small business owners around the globe).
He gave her one job: figure out how to make money with social
media, OR she was out! (At the time, she didn’t even know what
social media was.) So Mara spent the next months inhaling all
of the information she could get her hands on about making money
using social media...implementing that information...testing that
information...and tracking that information...
The Result? An additional 7 figures in less than 278 days using
social and alternative media!
Soon after, she ventured out on my own and launched Mara Glazer Cut
The Crap Business Coaching and her newest venture, Best Damn Biz
Team (formerly known as Mara Glazer Media Works), which you can
find out more about at www.BestDamnBizTeam.com.
- Nobody has a plan.
- Social media is not free.
Especially these days. You now need to advertise on FB, Twitter,
LinkedIn and even Pinterest.
- Pay to play. If you’re not willing to pay to play. Social media
can be worth it so look into it and create a plan.
- Work your plan. It’s more than 5 minutes a day. Set time to
- If you hire a social media manager...
- Popups still work. She
uses PopUp Domination.
- Get a marketing coach to help
you create a marketing plan. Start with a 3-month plan. Without a
plan you are probably broke.
- You’ll make a lot of pivots and shifts so by month four things
will change so look to recreate these every 4 months.
- If you don’t have baseline revenue and recurring revenue that
covers your bills every month, figure that out
first. Then focus on
list-building both actively and passively. Passive list-building is
critical. Lead magnets like free reports. Use PPC to drive visitors
- You can also sponsor events /
tele summits, etc. to generate leads. It’s active but it
- Mara prefers email
newsletters. She knows they work. Printed newsletters work as well.
They worked with GKIC, with her clients, etc.
- But email newsletters keep you top-of-mind. She does a weekly
but she bi-weekly is fine but monthly is not frequent enough.
- It’s good at building a relationship.
- It’s good for promotions and let people know you have an event
- Paid advertising. She is good at Facebook advertising. Start
NOW! It’s still cheap on Facebook but that is changing.
- Use social media to put people into your funnel. Building your
brand is important, but building your list is key.
- Create an automated funnel.
She loves Infusionsoft.
- Add as many media touch
points as possible.
- Besides email she loves live
human calls. This was hard to learn for her. She had to learn how
to have sales conversations. Her first 50 sales conversations were
a mess. She didn’t close any of them. (Insert Sales training flash
cards and 30 Day Sales Growth.) You have to learn how to
- “If you can’t sell you’re in
trouble.” Learning to
sell makes you a better marketer. It helps you learn
who you’re talking to.
- Hire somebody to write for
you if you need help creating your email newsletter.
- If your budget is tight, do it yourself. Get over your own
- You’ll end up connecting, making somebody smile, you’ll give a
tip that transforms someone’s life and you’ll grow.
- Getting PR. Mara can help you with an article writer that
creates a 400-800 word article that gets syndicated on ABC, Fox,
etc. “Dirt Cheap $297."
Mara was overweight and
“dorky” as a kid. Even her teachers told her she’d never be
successful from 6th to 10th grade. All of those feelings came out
when she launched her business. She hired a mentor to help her get
over those issues.
Ready Fire Aim. Focused on
The first thing she sold was
VIP consulting days for $10,000. (“That’s how much I wanted to make
so that’s what I charged.”)
- Those high-dollar clients are
a greater pleasure.
- She steers implementation clients to her VA business.
- She wanted and needed to make money. It gives you the freedom
and opportunity to do a lot of things.
- She didn’t have a website and made her first $200,000.
- Get a list and make offers.
- Most of her $10,000 clients
had never heard of her or GKIC. She just launched and asked for the
sale. She started with her own savings.
- Her email list is not big according to industry standards but
she knows how to sell.
- She had never owned a business before. “If a 28-year old blonde
- She took some time off after GKIC but she started building an
email list. She had a $500/mo for 6 months coaching program called
Jump Start. (no longer offered)
- Now using Google Hangouts and
- BizConLive. She’ll share the blueprints to build a
profitable online business.
- And offering mentoring into her mastermind.
Get all of the show notes for every episode of The Sales Podcast with Wes Schaeffer, The Sales Whisperer®.
Order a signed copy of Wes's new book, "The Sales Whisperer®
Use these resources to grow your sales:
Check out earlier episodes of The Sales Podcast: