Sep 15, 2014
About Today's Guest
Alice Kemper doubled her income the first day of getting into
sales. (She was a public school teacher.) She went into sales for
American Greeting Cards and Harte Hanks as a “token woman.”
(Out of 800+ sales people she was the 9th woman hired.)
She became a student of selling because after her two weeks of
sales training with the company she was on her own. She knew
as a teacher you “can’t wing it," so 31 years ago launched
Sales Training Consultants. (Not a big difference teaching 6th
graders and sales people! Doh!)
She's been building her business by helping others build theirs
Tools To Thrive
- Start Blogging Today: If you are new to blogging and
need to put up a quick site and get real help with your hosting,
try Bluehost. I've tried them all - GoDaddy,
Hostable, HostGator, etc. All were good and bad. In December 2013 I
took a long hard look at Bluehost, and what I found was nothing short of
amazing. Their free domain service with the purchase of hosting,
their 1-click WordPress setup and great customer service is what
every new blogger and entrepreneur needs. Use this link for The Sales Whisperer discount.
- Preparation is key to sales success. It’s the most
overlooked action sales people mess up on.
- They express needs and desire to do something about it.
- “How will I launch this conversation?”
- There is no more time anymore.
- They don’t want to know about you.
- No 3-martini lunches.
- You have to prepare more than “in your head.”
- You need to write it down and practice it.
"Preparation is key to sales success. It’s the most overlooked
action sales people mess up on"
- Buyer. Seller. Observer.
- Sales people never get up in front of the room in her
- Everyone brings a sales challenge to work on and the training
is done in context.
- Her clients must agree to work with her for a minimum of three
months with weekly 90-minute, interactive calls to reinforce.
- That’s how she can guarantee a 5% to 35% increase.
- Many sales managers are not naturals with innate sales
management skills so Alice created “30 Minute Sales Meetings.”
"Your sales training must be done in context"
- Past Prospecting failures can cause pain that keeps you from
doing more prospecting.
- You have to learn from your mistakes, conduct better research,
prepare your words and prospecting processes more thoroughly and
continue to grow.
- “The close is the easiest part of the conversation…if you do
all of the steps leading up to it properly. Establish yourself as a
strategic partner. They don’t need another vendor. Business people
need strategic business partners.”
- Ask the right questions. Remove barriers.
"Ask the right questions. Remove barriers."
If you liked this episode, please let me know on Twitter.
Get all of the show notes for every episode of The Sales Podcast with Wes Schaeffer, The Sales Whisperer®.
Use these resources to grow your sales:
Check out early episodes of The Sales Podcast: