Oct 29, 2020
- Big fan of traditional marketing
- Wizard of Ads
- "Google is God"
- Google Guarantee (LSA)
- Google My Business
- Straight up organic (He does $2.6 million/mo from here)
- Still does ValPak, direct mail, etc
- Use a local number for the neighborhood
- Get a 1,000% ROI from ValPak
- He doesn't want to be the "Wal-Mart" and the "Quality Brand"
- Have good books
- Direct and fixed costs
- Add in your profit
- If you can't get to 15% margins you're failing
If you can't get to 15% margins you're
- He doesn't sell on price
- Effective sales training is fundamental
- He went to his distributor and got something nobody had
- Start with "best" and go down to "better" but never "good"
- Sell what you'd sell to your mom
- Used his sales and marketing skills to get great people
- 8 Steps to a 5-Star Customer Program
- Go over and above
What else can we do for you?"
- Have a price book
- Look at all your numbers
- Call center conversions
- Usually, your average ticket is too low
- Look at your conversion rate
- What are your acquisition costs
- You need to be doing 15-18% marketing when you're entering a
new market and 10% on average
- He has manuals for everything
- Ask great questions
- Sell like a doctor
- Do a needs analysis
- Your prospects must like and trust you
- Be known as the best quality
- Has his core values
- Already in 14 states
- He doubled his marketing during the pandemic
- Take the people with you
- He loves taking care of his people
- He trains his people like crazy and he retains his people like
- He drives a used Nissan Titan with a salvaged title
- He lives in an apartment he owns
- He drinks a beer with his guys
- "Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and
- He's building leaders
- Had a landscaping company
- His friend recruited him over to the garage door business
- Started it in 2007 not knowing what they were doing
- Got into debt
- Mom and step-dad moved from Michigan to help him
- He learned about CRMs and learning
- Leaders are readers
- He likes to be a master/rifle shot so he expands
- He focuses on after-market repairs and upgrades
- He grows organically
- He's a platform company so he is worth 12x even when he buys at
- He'd show up to his master's program greasy
- He built it all up from the ground up
- He did it all himself
- He didn't get out of the field completely until 2014/2015
It's so fun to hire amazing people."
- The dream needs to become a vision.
- The vision needs to become a dream.
- The dream needs to become a plan.
- Get organized.
- Hire around your weaknesses.
- The KPIs in the CRM is the scoreboard
- It's fun
- Teach it to your people
- He pays $1,500 to his people for new hire referrals
- He has tracking numbers for his staff to get commissions
- He has a recruiting process to hire for good fits
- Personality assessments
- Ride alongs
- A three-week apprenticeship is to weed them out
- He's always recruiting while eating out, getting his hair cut,
- His average employee is 23 and wants to be cared for
- Find out what your people want and help them get it
- He buys $2,400 worth of tools for each of his guys
- Systems, Procedures, Checks, and Balances
- He runs warranty calls first
- 1% of customers will always be mad. They're victims and it's
sad. "Creative justification."
- You don't "need" a new car, etc. You "want" it.
- Compound interest. Save your money and grow smartly.
- Buy appreciating assets.
- A lot of people don't have what it takes. Discipline.
Accountability. Work ethic.
- Order the book, "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human
- Accept responsibility for everything in your life
- Most businesses fail
- "The Augusta Law"
- He has a team dedicated to the trolls
- He understands that mistakes are made and he listens and lets
them vent and offers a solution
- A 1-star review costs money so address it
- Consumers have a lot of power now
Get all of the show notes for every episode of The Sales Podcast with Wes Schaeffer, The Sales Whisperer®.
Use these resources to grow your sales:
Check out early episodes of The Sales Podcast: